Thursday 9 April 2020

Jeti Teluk Intan

Teluk Intan Jetty
I was back in Teluk Intan recently to attend a relative's funeral.
With a bit of time on my hands in the afternoon I thought I'd check up the places where I used to frequent during my youth.
The 1st place that caught my eye was the old jetty about 5 minutes away. So I took a walk. 
This was hardly a jetty nor a pier in the real sense of the word as it has no raised platform wooden or concrete.
Just a big concrete slab for passengers to walk on in place of the muddy Bank.
Sorry at the time of writing I didn't know its name. Maybe someone out there can enlighten us. 
Boats just moored by the side deep enough and a plank propped against it as a walkway for passenger and goods.

Passengers especially  women just walked daintily on the plank to the boat. The boatman then hauled and pushed the bike across with skilful hands.
No sweat as he's been doing this for years I reckon.
It was only Rm1 crossing to the village opposite.

A Chinese Ah Pek was  taking his siesta or sitting and warching  the world go by.

As a matter of fact each time I visited the place he was there as was his custom beneath the mangrove tree and flags fluttering in the breeze.

Speaking of a relaxed, peaceful and carefree life he takes the cake.

When the boat was full. About 20 passengers in all, the boatman gave the signal. The boat engine purred into life, churning up bubbles in a whirlpool. 

As the boat started to move, I heard a sweet voice from inside the boat calling, "Selamat Tinggal. Jumpa lagi"

I looked up and saw a slender hand waving at my direction.
I waved back enthusicially.

The boat turned around  and gathered speed. Soon it got smaller and smaller at a distance. Then it rounded the bend and out of sight.

Teluk Intan still has many riverine villages that could only be reached by boat.
Life is so peaceful, tranquil and slow moving. I am sure the villagers at this moment in time would not wish to change it for another.
I share this sentiment too.

No comments:

Post a Comment